The Silhouette Portrait 2 and CAMEO 3 models are two different machines offered by Silhouette America.
The main difference is in size. The Silhouette CAMEO® has a wider cutting area (12 inches maximum) compared to the Silhouette Portrait® model (8 inch maximum).
Both the CAMEO 3 and Portrait 2 models offer the following:
- AutoBlade compatible (included with purchase) to allow automated adjustment of your blade during cut job processing -- No more worrying about manually adjusting your blade! The Portrait 2 will do it for you.
- Deeper cutting ability of up to 2mm depth (requires Deep Cut Blade)
- Ability to communicate wirelessly via Bluetooth® (Bluetooth adapter included with models sold in the US, Canada, and select regions of Europe)
- An optical scanner for print & cut applications
- Compatible with Silhouette Studio® allowing you to cut fonts and images from your PC or Mac®
- Matless cutting option for adhesive-backed materials
- Both models offer the same capabilities to cut the same material types (vinyl, paper, cardstock, fabric, etc)
The CAMEO 3 offers the following features which the Portrait 2 does not:
- 12" width cutting area (with the ability cut an actual 12 inch rather than a 11.5 inch cutting area like other comparable machines)
- Dual carriage to hold multiple tools for faster job processing (i.e. cut with a blade and sketch with a pen during the same job)
- Adjustable pinch rollers and adjustable spring rollers to better secure loaded materials
- USB slot to read and cut specially formatted files directly from a USB drive without being hooked up to a computer
- LCD Touchscreen
Note: The above features may not be included with older CAMEO or Portrait models.
Further information comparing these models may be found at http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines
We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any other questions.